As you well know, fellow puzzlers and PuzzleNationers, we usually post a puzzle to celebrate a given holiday.
But last year we started a new holiday tradition and offered you some trivia to help count down the hours until Christmas Day!
So this year, we’re doing it again. That’s right, twelve questions on holiday pop culture from around the world. How does that sound?
Feel free to cherry-pick from these questions for your own Yuletide trivia. We’ve tried to keep it relatively easy and accessible, though a few tougher historical questions might’ve snuck in alongside the song trivia and the food trivia.
1. What holiday song was the first song played in space?
2. How old was Brenda Lee when she recorded Christmas classic “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree”?
3. Saint Nicholas, whom Santa Claus is based on, is from what country?
4. Which well-known Christmas song was originally a Thanksgiving song?
5. How many days of Kwanzaa are there?
6. When are gingerbread houses believed to have been invented?
7. Which founding father had a famously boozy eggnog recipe that forgot to note the number of eggs needed but included the instruction “Taste frequently”?
8. Who was the first U.S. president to recognize Hanukkah in the White House?
9. You can stay at the original “Home Alone” house through Airbnb. Where is the home – and film – located?
10. In Oaxaca City, Mexico, Noche de rábanos is celebrated every 23rd December. Which food gives this festival its name?
11. Which Christmas song’s second verse begins with “The cattle are lowing”?
12. After leaving Bethlehem, to which country did Joseph, Mary, and Jesus travel?
Do you have any favorite nuggets of holiday trivia? Please share it with us in the comment section below! We’d love to hear from you.
Thanks for visiting PuzzleNation Blog today! Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to stay up-to-date on everything PuzzleNation!