[Image courtesy of Nyafuu Archive.]
Last week, we shared a sampling of riddles from Raging Swan Press’s series of riddle-filled handbooks, “So What’s the Riddle Like, Anyway?”
And today, we’ve got the answers ready for you. So let’s see how you did!
1. What always runs but never walks,
Often murmurs, never talks,
has a bed but never sleeps,
Has a mouth but never eats?
Answer: a river.
2. What has a head and a tail, but no body?
Answer: a coin.
3. I can be cracked, I can be made.
I can be told, I can be played.
Answer: a joke.
4. What should the tenth number in this series be? 3, 3, 5, 4, 4, 3, 5, 5, 4
Answer: 3. (Each number is the number of letters in the digits one through nine, so ten would be “3.”)
5. A carpenter was in a terrible hurry. He had to work as quickly as possible to cut a very heavy ten‐foot plank into ten equal sections. If it takes one minute per cut, how long will it take him to get the ten equal pieces?
Answer: 9 minutes. (The first 8 minutes yield 8 pieces, but the ninth minute will yield pieces 9 and 10.)
6. Can you find a four‐digit number in which:
The first digit is one‐third the second digit,
The third is the sum of the first and second and
The last is three times the second?
7. I am always hungry, I must always be fed.
The finger I lick will soon turn red.
8. A precious stone, as clear as diamond.
That shuns the sun’s bright fire.
Though you can walk on water with its power,
Try to keep it, and it’ll vanish ere an hour.
9. I am sometimes strong
And sometimes weak,
But I am nobody’s fool.
For there is no language that I can’t speak,
Though I never went to school.
Answer: An echo.
How did you do on these riddles, fellow puzzler? Let us know in the comments section below!
Thanks for visiting PuzzleNation Blog today! Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to stay up-to-date on everything PuzzleNation!
You can also share your pictures with us on Instagram, friend us on Facebook, check us out on Twitter, Pinterest, and Tumblr, and explore the always-expanding library of PuzzleNation apps and games on our website!